"20061112"

I've replaced the suspended creekbed support with shadecloth doubled up. A tricky problem is how to make the sling self-tightening. The old design relied on some steel straps to compress the mesh into a U-shaped compression join. The problem with this is that you need a lot of force due to the leverage working to lift the compresion joint out of place (allowing the sling to slide out). I did this because I wanted the suspension to lie out of sight under the handrail along the top of the wootank.

This was a mistake as it led to all sorts of problems with the sling creeping and the mesh cracking due to the tight corners (I used fibreglass mesh).

The new design uses a dowel clamped inside the shade cloth folded over and the old compression joints (which now requre the dowel to pass through the compression joint, rather than just friction between the joint and the sling). On the near side I was going to try and create the same design, but in a flash of insight I realised that I would also be having trouble with that approach and instead put the sling over the top of the handrail and back under the compression joint.

insert diagrams here

This means that as the weight increases it pushes down on the compression joint, and the sling has a much large area in contact with the support. The design is self tightening.

After a relaxing 20 minutes lying in my new hammock I put back the felt creek base and tried it out. Everything looks much simpler and neater now. Let's hope it lasts longer.

Lynne wanted to go out, so we went to bushwalk and spent far too much money. They had the climbing triggerplant, and some really nice purple and yellow Calytrix sp, similar to the ones that grow in Merredin.

I repopulated the hanging creek with the 'potting mix' (actually composted tip mulch), the remaining alive plants (lost a number of rare plants in the great collapse :( and my two mussels. I'm now thinking about getting a 50c goldfish to see if the water is habitable.

Lynne bought me some Nuytsia floribunda seeds she found. As this is a parasite plant I need to find a suitably tough pot of grasses, wattles or similar to provide a host. I doubt I'll live here long enough to see this flower as they apparently are very slow to mature, but I'm interested in the challenge. Apparently the parasitic roots are strong enough to cut telephone cables, let's hope this isn't a problem here (our telephone cables are above ground anyway).




[æ]